For many of us, Christmas is the best time of the year. Decorations. Presents. Parties. Music. Family and friends. Faith. The Holiday Season can truly be magical.
But don't let it be tragic! Unfortunately, Christmas trees and lights increase the chance of a fire. Don't become a statistic! Be sure to follow these common sense tips:
*If you have a real Christmas tree, don't let it dry out! Check the water level every day. If the needles become brittle and are falling off, get rid of the tree.
*For an artificial tree, make sure it's flame retardant.
*Never place your tree close to heat sources, such as a fireplace, heat vents, and candles.
*Speaking of candles, it's never a good idea to put lighted candles on your tree. All candles should be safely placed away from any object that could ignite.
*For electric lights, make sure they've been safety tested (UL, for example), and note whether they're for indoor, or outdoor, use.
*Inspect lights before you use them. Don't use electrical decorations that have frayed wiring. When hanging lights, make sure no staples penetrate the wiring.
*Don't use electrical wires or cord extensions that could become a tripping hazard.
*Don't overload your electrical system, and turn off all lights each evening before you go to bed.
*Finally, make sure your smoke detectors are in good working order. Christmas is a wonderful holiday; let's also make it a safe one!