Figley-Salz & Company Trusted Choice
Auto Insurance Real Estate

Image result for local performers

Do you own a building?  Or, are you an administrator or manager of a public entity, such as a school or hospital?  Do you allow civic clubs, social groups, or other organizations to meet at your facility--either periodically or regularly?  Then it's in your best interests to become an Additional Insured.  We'll explain by using an example.

Let's say a booster club is holding a fundraiser in a school cafeteria.  A large display is partially blocking one of the exits.  A fire ensues, and a few attendees are injured while trying to leave the partially blocked exit.  Some of them require medical attention.

Would the school's liability policy cover these injuries?  Yes.  But why should the school's insurance carrier pay for these injuries?  After all, they were caused by the booster club's negligence--even the fire might have been caused by the club's negligence.   If the booster club has their own liability policy, its insurer should respond.  And if the club added the school as an Additional Insured to their general liability policy, that's exactly what the policy would do!  As you can see, being an Additional Insured is valuable protection.

Be sure to carefully review any risks or exposures when you grant permission for a group to meet in your facility--or an entertainment function.  And if the group is conducting an activity that endangers your contents, building, and/or employees INSIST that entity add you as an Additional Insured to their policy!

Many small groups and clubs don't carry liability insurance due to the costs.  But it never hurts to ask if they carry insurance.  And if the answer is yes, request they add you as an Additional Insured.  (At their cost.)  It could prove to be valuable peace of mind!
Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013

View Mobile Version

Our Carriers

Figley-Salz & Company
Auto Insurance Homeowners Insurance Commercial Auto Workers Compensation Business Owners General Liability More Types of Insurance Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Connect on LinkedIn Mobile Site Review Google Places IIAOK
Figley-Salz & Company | 1020 10th St | Woodward, OK 73801 | Phone: (580) 256-3391 Click to Search Powered by Insurance Website Builder